TNSS: Dance of the Dead

The Banner Pic for this Episode comes from Remko van Dokkum under the CC Attribution 2.0 Generic License.

Clara Jane has been sent off to pasture. Okay, she’s actually been sent off to a new owner who will certainly appreciate her more than I. As the M1’s are performing so well here at APITE Headquarters, it was either move it along or let it languish in a box in the closet. I’m tempted to say good riddance to the Intel-based Macs, but I still have my old 2012 Mac mini hiding in said closet in case of dire emergency. That old adage of ‘If you have one, you have none’ I just can’t shake. 

I’ve also debated on whether to replace my Synology home server with the old Mini – both have their strengths and weaknesses, but it really boils down to usability and interface (I use about a hundredth of what the Synology can do, and the Mini can also work as a functioning computer) and that the Mac uses about 6 times the energy. For something that mostly streams videos to an Apple TV for the youngest I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle of setting up, migrating the data, and replacing one thing in said closet for another. We shall see.

So the big news is I got my Universal Audio Apollo Twin working on Edsel. I was a bit hesitant about booting into Reduced Security mode but after keeping an eye on their forums of people who have done this already with minimal issues, I decided it was time. The process was smooth and painless – essentially what installing UA software is like anyway, which is a bit more convoluted that just running a typical Installer. If you want to try it, the directions are here. My Apollo is an older Thunderbolt 2 model, but works perfectly with Apple’s Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. I bought one of these for about $50 to use the UA hardware and software on Clara Jane.

The Audient EVO I talked about in the last installment is working well enough, but I did have to fiddle about with DAW/Mic balance during student project grading. It’s simple enough to do either on the interface itself or with their App, and it works as you’d expect it to. However, UA’s Console makes this automatic every time the Apollo is connected and a DAW is launched making it easier for my ‘set it up so you can forget it’ work style. I also like the added headphone gain that the UA’s have that others can’t do Bus-powered. So the EVO is now working as my iPad Pro audio interface and as a traveller for Josephine when needed. I’ll wait for the ‘official’ Installer from UA that does not require any fudging about in Recovery Mode before I install it on the Air.

I’ll pass along a neat trick from the UA installation directions – if Logic Pro has trouble Validating Plugins you can force Logic into using Rosetta in its Get Info window (go to the Applications Folder, select Logic Pro, and choose ‘Get Info’ from the File header in the Menu Bar. Click the box in the picture below to enable it). Then close the Get Info window and launch Logic. Once Logic is running under translation, you can launch Logic’s Plug-in Manager (in the Menu Bar go to Logic Pro > Preferences > Plug-in Manager…) and select one of the errant Plugins (look under the ‘Compatibility’ column for anything not ’Successfully Validated’) and click the ‘Reset & Rescan Selection’ button at the bottom left of the window. Repeat this procedure for any remaining Plugins.

This came in silly handy not just for the Universal Audio stragglers, but also for a few IK Multimedia refusals and even a Waldorf Edition 2 update that just wouldn’t pass AU Validation. Once you get them all up and running, quit Logic and then uncheck the ‘Open using Rosetta’ box in its Get Info window. The next time you launch any AU-capable DAW the Plugins will work as they should. Nice.

LPX Rosetta

Another bonkers thing that popped up was iLok License Manager missing something that disables it (did not get a screenshot of this, but you’ll get a Dialog Box about some Extension or whatever missing that causes it not to be recognized.) This happened after both the 11.3 and 11.3.1 updates. A quick reinstallation of the iLok License Manager software solved the issue each time, and I’m not sure if this is The Mothership’s fault or iLok’s. This also puts that nagging particle in the back of your brain of ‘what else got broken that I haven’t discovered yet?’ So far I haven’t encountered anything else weird, so fingers crossed it’s just an iLok software bug.

Don’t let this hold you back from installing the latest updates – 11.3 and 11.3.1 fix some serious Security Issues, so even if you’re running the Intel version of Big Sur just follow the System Update recommendations. There are even fixes up for Catalina and Mojave, so that should let you know how important these are.

That’s about it for this edition of TNSS. In somewhat-related news, I did get a 4-pack of Airtags even though I rarely lose my keys or other items. They are impressive technology if you have an iDevice with one of the U-series chips (iPhone 11 and above I believe) for really accurate location fixing. AppleInsider’s William Gallagher has been doing great reporting on them if you want more info. Now I’m just waiting on delivery of some cheap silicone cases that don’t cost as much (or more!) as one of the Airtags…

Until next time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s